BrickCon: Battlestar Galactica Display

I've been so swamped lately it's not even funny. Most nights I get home from working on projects at school and Katie and Carter are already asleep. That's not a fun lifestyle. So my free time for stuff like blog posts is nil lately. I'm finally squeezing in some time this morning to finally post about the big Battlestar Galactica display we did at BrickCon in Seattle.

Besides lack of time, the other reason I haven't posted about it until now is because I've been trying to figure out how to post about it to this family audience, unlike, say at my BSG-themed Lego blog, Chief's Deck. I know the people seeing that blog are generally BSG and Lego fans, so it's easy to write to them without feeling like I'm a complete nerd.

So please bear with me, and we'll get through this post:

Overall

First off, the entire photo set. What you're seeing is the result of a collaborative effort by builders who provided time, parts, and models for the display.

Boilerplate

It all started when our friend Andrew built a model of a starfighter, the Colonial Viper from the SciFi channel hit Battlestar Galactica, a reimagined version of a show you may have seen back in the late 70s. Now in it's 4th and final season, the show has many fans in the Lego community groups we interact with.

Vipersssss

I copied Andrew's model because I loved it so much, and later thought up the idea to do a group display at BrickCon. My job would be to build the hangar from the show, and people would bring their own customized Viper to put into the hangar. The idea was a success, and soon many Lego Vipers started showing up online, even from people who weren't going to be at BrickCon.

Hangar

Builders also began constructing other ships from the show, as well as extra hangar sections, expanding the scope and variety of the display. One friend even decided to build a to-scale 12-foot-long version of a ship called Colonial Movers, which has big cargo containers on the sides, and in one episode housed Vipers for a sneak attack. The Movers can be seen above.

Mosaic

Katie wanted to do a mosaic again, and we settled on a design of the ship Galactica itself. The finished mosaic measures 45 inches long by 15 inches tall, and turned out wonderful.

More photos:
Battlestar Galactica Display

Ships

Hangar

Ships in Hangar

Down in front!

The result of all the hard work put into the display? We ended up winning for the "Best in Space" award, winning top prize out of the entire science fiction-themed section at the show. I've never won an award before at any of the events I've attended, so I was super thrilled and proud of everyone.

Battlestar Galactica Display: Best in Space


We're already trying to figure out what we can do for next year. If we can go, that is...

0 comments: